Monday, February 20, 2006

Sunset Specialty - Honeymoon Beach


Today's entry goes back to a digital format and offers a slight change of scenery. So far, the history of my blog has mostly been dedicated to Florida's awesome local parks and nature trail boardwalks. I can't say that I necessarily tire of photographing common Florida natural sights, but as you - my loyal readership - returns faithfully to check out my blog, I figure I'll change it up a bit. This entry isn't so different from the others except you cannot expect to see a palmetto at the beach.



A fisherman casts off from a manmade leg of concrete pilings that extend into the water.




Seagulls, sea oats, seashells, and sunsets are all the most common attractions that draw visitors from outside of our state and country. As local residents of this state, I think we neglect to get out and visit some of these places. Of course, I can't place blame for taking for granted these local attractions, but I think I know why we don't get out all that much. This is just a theory, but I suspect we're all tired of seeing the novelty postcards of seashells and sunsets - you know the ones I'm talking about - they are situated somewhere between the large lady with the floss and the "Fabio" sporting nothing but sand to cover his unmentionables.

Ah yes, the Florida seagull. I am no naturalist, but I can easily tell you that they have a steady diet of potato chips, peanuts, cheesy puffs, and any other finger food a tourist can throw at them. Their incessant screaming can be directly linked to their diet.


So when was the last time you went to the beach? If you are a local, then I would guess it was spring or summertime. In truth, the winter can be just as nice if not nicer. Visiting the beach in winter means that you don't have to sit in 3-5 hours of traffic while you try and make it to an overcrowded beach. Springtime is a gamble with the many intoxicated spring break crowd threatening the roads. There is something special about Honeymoon, however. Even in summer, this beach does not attract the crazies. Perhaps it's a lack of bars and gift shops, butcome in summer and all you will find are a handfull of local beachgoers. This evening's weather was very mild. It was a low of about 68 degrees and a slight breeze to make any Floridian shiver. Honeymoon Beach isn't necessarily for the swimmer, but as the title of this entry implies, it's perfect for sunsets and strolling. I also forgot to mention that in a separate part of the park there is a dog beach. I may introduce a segment of my blog dedicated to dog park visits, but for now let's stick to randomness. The park also has a ferry to Caladesi Island State Park - another treasure for the Florida local. I won't make mention of it just yet since I have a feeling I will be making a trip there again soon.


The pilot of this plane is obviously a retiree. He came rediculously close to crashing his plane on one of his turns when the wing nearly contacted the water. I bet his Caddy has a few busted fenders.


My walk on Honeymoon Beach made for a great close to a very boring weekend. I spent all of Saturday and Sunday falling in and out of sleep on the couch while watching the same DVD play over and over. The dull rest was well deserved and needed for a promising week. The walk on the beach was very much like waking up from the long weekend. It was a real pleasure to tote a camera around and snap off a few shots. Hopefully I took a picture of something that you enjoyed. Hopefully next week I'll bring you something other than palmettos. If you have any special requests - heck, if you want me to photography you - just let me know. I'm game for anything. Hmmm...I may have to open up my blog for suggestions! Enjoy.

No comments: