Friday, January 18, 2008

Making Memories of Marley

Making Memories of Marley


I have had a lot of time recently to spend with my dog Marley. I suppose unemployment opens up all sorts of possibilities when it comes to how I might spend each waking moment. Although most days consist of laying on the couch watching movies with a ball of fur keeping my feet warm, wrestling over a purple bear on the living room floor, or taking an occasional walk through an undeveloped part of the neighborhood, I realize daily that this animal will only live a fraction of my normal life. This is a tough concept to come to terms with, but a necessary truth one must come to understand when taking on the responsibility of adopting a pet. As a working photographer, I often neglect to aim the camera at things most important in my life. Today I took a moment to focus my lens on the incredible happiness this animal has offered me.




Photographing an animal has its challenges. Of course, photographing ones own pet offers the advantage of knowing the habits and routines. Today offered some great lighting conditions. The skies are gray, overcast, and show the promise of winter weather. This mixture of natural conditions offered terrific lighting. For whatever reason, I hadn't ever taken the time to follow Marley around the house. Maybe I was waiting for that next best camera, lighting equipment, or that latest lens. I am grateful to have taken the time, regardless of camera gear, to follow him around and just take photos of him as is.




Change has made the past 5+ years zip by. Somewhere along the way Marley came into our lives. I cannot imagine what changes the next years will give, or worse, when it is that Marley is taken away. I suppose it's still very premature to think like this, but life is short afterall. In the grand scheme, the next few years are nothing compared to the rest of this lifetime. For now, I am happy to have a pet like Marley. Life stands still when you stare at a photo. Life moves quickly when you experience the ups and downs with the people (and pets) you love. These photos have thankfully stopped this moment and saved them for a time when I will look forward to again remembering my happiness with Marley.

1 comment:

Super B said...

Those are some beautiful pics! Marley is so cute. I miss him (and his mom and dad too)