Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A year and a lifetime ago

A year and a lifetime ago


If you had asked me how long ago I thought this picture had been taken I might have possibly scratched my head and responded with a confused answer: "Two years ago? Three years? I don't think I remember." That is exactly what it feels like having lived under three different roofs spanning over a few short months. That is exactly how far removed I am from the out of body terrific experiences I had working with a hometown NFL franchise.

By trade I am a computer guy. By desire I carry a camera and create imagery. In my dreams I will get to experience things that will forever start long conversations that stir the retelling of fantastic stories. Working for the team I got to hear our sportscasters berate as a kid is now just a dreamy haze.

It was my desire to carry a camera in October of 2005 when our "Pewter Pirates" flew north to New Jersey - bringing me along for the ride - where our team would face the Jets. For my first trip, we were ironically be beaten by "Vinny" - a quarterback who started his career with the creamsicle orange and red Bucs that I remember growing up watching. I didn't care. I was out of my skin and probably out of my mind for toting my pocket sized point and shoot; but, to this day I cannot thank myself enough for taking that chance. I remember running on and off of the field and riding in a bus next to an athlete whose leg was bigger than my torso. I remember helping our equipment crew peel jerseys from game soaked shoulder pads. My memories are now tangible. That year ago is now yesterday. In my retirement it will have been a few years ago. Perhaps the kids I might someday raise will remind me of what a lifetime ago was.

Tampa, Florida - what a great city that was to grow up in and experience as an adult. Life could not be more fitting to have given me an opportunity to work for a team that represented the one city where I created the fondest lifetime memories. I couldn't be more thankful for the opportunity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome photographer!
-BW in Tampa

EugenioC said...

Hmmm...maybe one day I can score a coveted press credential. Some day BW...some day. *Sigh*

Tell your cubemate I send my regards.