Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Grape Harvest

The Grape Harvest


I am told of the many amazing things that happen in the spring in North Carolina. For those that have not gotten out to experience everything that fall has to offer, I would have to challenge their perspective of the other great seasons here. Otherwise, it would be a matter of preference.

If there was any other place on Earth that offers a more harmonic changing of seasons than North Carolina, I would love to visit and photograph their region.

In the springtime the cool slowly turns to warm. Stuff starts growing. Life is reaffirmed. In the fall stuff starts to die. (Stuff...you like that?!) Colder air starts prompting people to do things like pick all of those grapes and make some wine before the first snow hits the ground.

In the past few weeks I think I have sampled more wine at tasting events than I have ever consumed at dinner events in years. I would not dare even think of myself as a connoisseur, but the fermented grape concoction has certainly grown on me. I think it's a great past time to enjoy a glass of wine in the company of family or friends or even with a nice home cooked dinner. If you ask me, I am more interested in the serene landscapes, fall colors, and ambience a winery offers. Now that fall is upon us and a chill is in the air it's all the more reason to get out, enjoy the wineries, and celebrate the grape harvest.


A small front loading tractor collects stems from freshly picked grapes.

Through odd fate and the coincidence of having a somewhat rare last name, I received an awesome phone call from my brother a few weeks ago. Apparently, the co-owner of one of the local wineries matched our last names because of some pictures she had seen in the local magazine I work for. She had expressed interest in possibly having me come out and photograph their winery and also take advantage of the upcoming grape harvest. Although we never formalized any agreement in terms of usage, I still enjoyed the visit and took advantage of an opportunity to capture this moment in a winery's annual harvest.



A colorful butterfly blends in and enjoys the sweetness of freshly picked grapes.




Since moving to the Piedmont Triad I have had the opportunity to visit eight different wineries, sample numerous varieties of wines developed here, and collected well over a dozen wine glasses representing various wineries. With the exception of The Biltmore Estate, each of the seven wineries I have visited is no more than a 45 minute drive from Winston Salem. (Wayne - if you're out there and reading this, you seriously need to consider a ROAD TRIP!) If you are ambitious enough and have access to a designated driver, there is a good possibility you could visit all of them in one day. Along one of our stops we spoke with an elderly couple that had visited TWELVE in one day! Overall, I believe there are over 21 wineries in the North Carolina winery appellation.



A small wooden sign with the type of grape being grown is handwritten and posted at the end of each row of grapes.






Just as quickly as the fall came will come winter. With the end of one grape harvest will come another season of spring flowers. I cannot wait for what photos the winter season will bring. Scenes of steam hovering over lakes, snow covered trees and frost covered barns quickly come to mind. I hope you have enjoyed this latest entry.

As always, stay tuned. I have another great photo entry this week with more great landscape views and fall colors. If you are resourceful enough, and want to sneak preview these photos before they make it on my blog, you will find these photos elsewhere. If you have made it this far and have read through this entire weblog entry, be the first one (of maybe 3 loyal readers, hehe) to Email me with the correct location of these new pictures (taken yesterday) and a reward is yours. For your diligence, I will send you a free 8x10 enlargement from my newest photos or any other photo from my online publishings of your choice.

Have fun. Get out and photograph.

PS - I am thrilled to let my fellow readership know that as of yesterday I am now a member of the Associated Artists of Winston Salem. Ok, so it doesn't take talent to become a member - just a membership donation. :) I do, however, plan on making the most of the membership and getting my photography exposed to as many people as possible. Thank you for your continued encouragement and visitation to my weblog.

No comments: