Sunday, October 15, 2006

Finding Fall - Hanging Rock Park, NC

Finding Fall - Hanging Rock Park, NC




The above panoramic of the lake at the Hanging Rock recreational area was created from 4 images and "stitched" together on the computer.

Larry and I were up and at it again early this morning in search of fall foliage. I suggested a trip to the Hanging Rock Park where I hoped to find the colors of the changing season. If you search my blog for "Hanging Rock" you will find a trip report and photos from other visits, so I will keep the documentary write up short and just share some photos.

Today's visit was strictly photo fun. Larry is a native of this area, and despite many visits to Hanging Rock Park throughout his youth, he had never actually taken any of the hikes. Hike is exactly what we did.

The temperatures this morning were will under 50 degrees. After a breakfast at Biscuitville, we headed north on a short 40 minute ride to the park's entrance. Shortly after arriving, we hit the visitor's center and decided on a hike to the actual "hanging rock." When I asked Larry why he had never hiked any of the trails "back in the day," he honestly admitted that "laziness" had gotten the best of him. I have to hand him some credit - we both hiked with our heavy Bogen/Manfrotto tripods all the way to the peak. It's a long hike and after a while camera gear and tripods can really get heavy. We didn't do so bad. A nice stop every now and again to closely photograph the leaves and other scenery made for opportunities to regain our breath and shed some fleece sweaters. Regardless, I still have to give him some flak for not exploring the surrounding attractions.


Being the Florida boy that I am, I truly enjoyed every bit of color displayed in the forests. The locals here swear that it's still to early to really enjoy the fall, but from what I gathered today the colors are well on their way. I cannot imagine what full fall colors will look like. Next weekend will probably be another repeat trip out to the mountains. Hopefully I can continue to offer some nice photos for your review.



This couple took in the views and enjoyed a snack while perched on the edge of Hanging Rock.







Larry sets up for a photo near a ledge offering a great lookout









In addition to the golds and greens was the fiery red foliage.





No comments: