Saturday, July 08, 2006

Bugs & Weeds - Backyard Beauty


Most weekend days at this tiny house in Kernersville are started out in the yard taking Marley on his morning walk. I spend a lot of time just taking it easy and looking at everything curiously as if I had to make work of capturing it on film. This house is old, creaky, and surrounded with all sorts of bugs, weeds, wildflowers, and all sorts of other things you would expect from a country home. I scratch my head sometimes at trying to figure out what the difference between a weed and a flower is.

Now I'm not much of a botanist, nor am I any good at identifying good bugs from bad ones, but typically if I see one that has all sorts of colors or more wings than I can count, I think it's time to grab the camera. If I'm not mistaken, this little beetle is supposedly a bad thing for the local plants. His shell looks like it has oil spilled on it and makes for a good photo subject.



It's black, yellow, has wings, and some nasty pointy looking legs. Take a picture, run like hell, and hope you don't get stung. This little guy was fairly tame and let me snap a few pictures before buzzing off.


I found this little guy in the back property at the line where the yard maintenance ends and where the "jungle" begins. I noticed that by rustling the weeds with my monopod something would eventually hop or fly out.

What can I say about spiders? They get in the house quite frequently and creep on you when you least expect it. This particular critter scurried across my hand while I was leaning up on the clothes line. I couldn't tell you if it was a good spider or the kind to leave you paralyzed, but it had a cool green splotch on him so I let him live.


This morning's backyard outing was a nice surprise. I got to see a good variety of bugs. Hopefully some birds, rabbits, or other critters will appear. Cardinals and Robins are very common around here. If I can catch one while it's still I'll try and get a few pictures for the blog and for my super fans that are out there watching.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey buddy, been looking for you, this is sentracarey.

EugenioC said...

Carey, drop me a line at my Email: c*e*b*o*l*l*e*r*o*e-AT-H0tma!l/com

(Just remove all of the special characters.)

Anonymous said...

I hate bugs. . . - BW