Monday, June 26, 2006

The Biltmore "Holgas"


Last month I shared some color digital images from my first visit to the Biltmore Estate over in Asheville, NC. In addition to my D-SLR, I toted my trusty Holga in the hopes of capturing some artistic photographs.


A Holga is the type of camera that does not elicit "throwback" remarks or kudos for staying the course with film. Most of the time you get confused stare. The first time I was introduced to a Holga I think I did the ankle-biter-small-dog "head tilt." Cameras are interesting devices that can create memorable images and beautiful pieces of art. Holgas just tend to confuse people in general.





I personally believe it is best to walk about the crowds playfully clicking and zipping the most basic controls a light box could offer. You get just 12 - twelve chances that is. You get 12 moments to relish in a day well spent. These little gems will adorn a wall. Perhaps in my old age when the color of life is gone and the imagery is just light puncturing through old dry eyelids, somewhere in these photos I will see glimmers of color of a life thoroughly enjoyed.



Film used: Neopan ISO400 b/w; direct grayscale print scan.

Get out. Enjoy life. Carry a camera - any camera. Just shoot.

1 comment:

wayne said...

I visited Biltmore when I was about 10 years old. Love your pics!