Friday, March 10, 2006

"Holgallage" - Davis Island Marina

Does the camera subliminally cheapen the subject matter? Or does it reveal a hidden truth about the art in this medium? Enter blog post dated 3/1 and a simple observation unfolds regarding my choice in subjects on the scene of an identical shoot. What difference should any of it make? I suppose predictability in the final print is the simplest explanation, but why would I not choose to shoot what I did with the Holga than with the DSLR?



Every shutter actuation is a forced thought when you have only 12 clicks. This is the essential difference between film/print exposures versus an endless spool of digital film. Shooting with the Holga is a labor that has thus far offered me endless reward and lessons far beyond what I might stumble across with any digital. Plastic is truly fantastic.

Holga Photography
ISO400 Ilford XP2 b/w
Davis Island Marina - Tampa, FL

1 comment:

shanti said...

These shots of Marley are some of my favorites. I think the light leaks of your Holga (along with the daylight shadows) make these shots of him look so personal and somewhat imaginary as if he was a lovely thought. I am so happy he is ours. He does miss you, as do I.