Sunday, September 17, 2006

St. John's Pass...Florida?!

St. John's Pass...Florida?!


Ok, so I snuck a visit to Florida when no one was watching. "Why didn't you call us?!" Well, that's the complication in traveling so far for such a short visit. We were there for no more than 48 hours to visit with my dad for his birthday. So, can you blame me for not calling? Our visit was short yes, but we had a great time gathering up some family for a BBQ, waking up early for "cafe con leche" and cuban bread, and spending the early part of a Sunday walking around with my dad at St. John's Pass boardwalk.

Back in August my brother had scored us some $88 Southwest fun-fares tickets from Raleigh to Tampa. With the price of gas and my dad's birthday towards the latter part of the month, we couldn't pass up. This was a last minute deal putting us in Tampa late on a Friday night and departing early on a Sunday. Needless to say, we spent some quality time with the family. I promise I will call the next time we plan an extended stay.

What can I say about St. John's Pass? The town itself is a cross between a local hangout and the strong influence of an almost tourist trap. On the boardwalks you'll find plenty of jet ski rentals, parasailing in exchange for an empty wallet, ice cream shops galore, a few restaurants with outdoor bars, and enough trinket shops to stock the shelves at the local Walgreens with "tourist gifts." Florida destinations are notorious for sea shells for a buck and smelly sponges from the $5 bin. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the 1980's post cards featuring tanned chics in T-backs and Chippendale dudes with dirt up their rear ends. I guess this kind of stuff is still funny for all of the visiting northerners.


The "shops" at St. Johns Pass feature more the above mentioned items, but offered more of the classy T-shirt prints and towel material clothing. I was home. The weather was nice, the heat right up to sweltering, and the water looking beautiful as usual. I almost forgot about being a former resident and nearly plopped $45 for a half hour ride on the jet skis. The heat was getting to all of us Carolinians. The funny thing about reminiscing and missing home is that sometimes the things you despise while living in a place become the same things you miss when you are away. I have this wierd perception that somehow I would enjoy taking one of my new local Carolina friends to this exact spot to check out the funny post cards. Maybe just walking around under the overhang sipping some frozen Jimmy Buffet concoction while trying to beat the heat would be enjoyable enough. I don't know.

I have been away for almost 6 months now. Homesick is great for when things look down, but overall I have enjoyed N. Carolina to the point where going back to Florida has not even registered on the radar. However, there is no replacement for friends and family and that is the constant variable that reminds me that home was once Florida. For now, I will just enjoy little weekend disappearances. Maybe I will catch you the next time I am in town. Have an overpriced frozen drink for me. The daquiri variety always goes down great on a hot Florida day.

No comments: