Tuesday, December 13, 2005

NYC, Revisited



Some people will swear that in life there is no better experience than the first time around for any new experience. I suppose it all depends on whether or not they choose for that moment to be private or witnessed by another. On this occasion, the cliche did not apply for two reasons. First, my previous visit to New York City was so short that it was as if I were peeping at the city through a punched out knothole in a fence wishing I could skip over and run amok. As a kid, I recall jumping many strangers' fences to explore the forest behind those yards, and in truth, those memories were much sweeter when the chance to be devious was shared with a close friend. Sure, Shanti and I only got to see the city for two days, and she is more than just my friend, but two days with her anywhere is better than a first time alone somewhere. This first was surely much more memorable having had the opportunity to share it with her.

I knew her eyes would get big when we hit the streets of Manhattan, but I think at some point mine were bigger. Sure, I was impressed with the sights, but everyone I talked to before the trip forewarned us of the hidden dangers of visiting the city. They said there would be pick-pockets hunting the obvious tourist. Surely a strap labeled "Nikon Digital" could not be the mark of a tourist. Just as rap group Public Enemy once said, "Don't believe the hype." Regardless, toting a DSLR and a few other cameras aboard Shanti's shoulder bag certainly kept my eyes vigilantly wrapped around my head. Our car ride from La Guardia to Elizabeth would become our first experience in New York after a wrong turn into the Bronx left us frantically searching for the nearest interstate - any interstate. That would be the last of our fearsome worries. After merely a few hours of wandering about in some of the most heavily populated areas of Manhattan on Saturday, we slowly took comfort in knowing that there were plenty of other tourists out there that were just as vunerable as we could ever be. I figured the chances of us being mugged for our gear were just as high as being the victim of a shark attack at some Florida beach. Heck, I counted about three Canon EOS Mark-I/II variety cameras that were far more enticing than our antiquated and relatively inexpensive D100. After a few mind easing chats with the local NYPD regarding crime in the city, the DSLR cautiously made brief appearances and snapped images of the city. For many of the other shots, my trusty Coolpix 2100 made great work of the sights. The fear of being the victim of a mugging quickly subsided.

Day 1 consisted of transportation familiarization and street walking. Sightseeing covered most of Central Manhattan including Times Square, Rockefeller Center, South Central Park, and Columbus Circle. Most of the attractions we visited were interconnected by heavily populated streets full of other tourists chasing down the same sights we had come to see. During our walk, I was fortunate enough to bump into a toy camera enthusiast near the big tree. A brief intro revealed that he was an avid fan of the "TC" forums. I wish I had the presence of mind to snap a picture of the two of us and our Holgas. He appeared to be in a hurry so a brief exchange was all the time we had.

Our transportation arrangements to the city on day 1 were quite simple. A hop on a plush express tour bus from the Newark Airport to the NY Port Authority was all it took to get us into the thick of the action. Our Elizabeth, NJ based Econo Lodge - which I probably would not rate to be over a half star - generously offered a free shuttle to the Newark Liberty International Aiport. Not only did the driver carefully avoid plowing us into the snowy embankments, but he was also informative in his transportation advice that would come in handy on day 2. Day 1 ended when we met up with some of Shanti's mother's friends. We met late in the evening for some pizza and good conversation. Thank you "Cano y Cana" for your great company. Again, silly me did not take a nice picture with one of the more capable cameras. Instead, I took a quick shot with the cell phone so that I could quickly send a greeting to Shanti's mom.

Day 2 proved to be a true NYC experience. The streets felt safe. Everyone we spoke with was friendly and very helpful - dare I say nicer than Floridans? I'd be damned to find someone as kind here in Tampa. On this day we did not want just a simple bus ride. Shanti and I were determined to re-enact scenes from "The Amazing Race" and were certain we could decipher the train and subway maps. We woke up Sunday morning and again caught our free shuttle to the airport. The night prior we had met a super friendly attendant at the NJ Airport train station. He spent well over an hour explaining to us how safe an efficient travel to and from the city could be. Mr. Bill A., Shanti sends hugs and many thank you's from Florida. (Me too!) The train and subway would be the only way we would have it. Our goal: to visit the Statue of Liberty by way of South Ferry at Battery Park. We took an early train from the NJ Aiport station to Penn Station near Madison Square Garden in Manhattan. From there we ventured into the subway station and immersed ourselves in a scene straight out of "The Matrix." The subways were everything I had expected them to be an then some. I was eerily attracted to the charm and mystique of the infrastructure. The sounds of the trains screeching down the tracks was just as I had heard in the movies. The rush of passengers trading positions was an exciting panic. We scurried like the rats on the tracks below and carefully wondered if each stop was ours. We rode track 1 from Madison Square Garden all the way to South Ferry and Battery Park where we purchased tickets to Liberty and Ellis Islands. Shanti and I lived in Alaska for three years, but I don't think the cold there equated to the frigid winter blast of a ferry ride across the Hudson River.

No visit to NYC would be complete without stopping by to visit the Statue of Liberty or some other landmark. I had only visited NY twice before and have never gotten the chance to visit Liberty Island. Once I was too young and at that time the statue was being repaired. The second visit was so short that I did not even have sufficient time to start up a converstation with a local. Disregarding the sub-freezing temperatures, we decided the memory of the visit would be worthwhile. Seeing the Statue was something we had to do. Despite my chapped face and lips, I'm conviced I would have made the visit naked if I had to do it over again. The Statue, grey sky, and snow covered grounds were beautiful. I'm thankful the day was cold. It was the best cold weather I've ever experienced. I just don't think it would have been the same if there was warmth and sunny skies.

Our visit with Lady Liberty lasted about an one and a half hours due to the quickly approaching closing times of the monuments. We wasted no time in catching the ferry to Ellis Island. After watching the movie "Hitch", I knew Ellis Island was a place I would have to explore if I were ever to visit New York City. Although we didn't spend a great deal of time learning the history behind the immigration and processing center, the feel of walking throughout the historical site was haunting. The history was well written in the walls, windows, and arched ceilings. Shanti and I were quick in taking advantage of the quickly setting sun. The opportunity to photograph at this time of day was very fortunate. The sunset went from gold to pink in a matter of minutes. I felt like a tomb raider that stumbled across riches piled in an empty room. Time quickly passed. From the time that we left Liberty Island and landed on Ellis Island, we had approximately 70 minutes to browse the grounds before the last ferry departed to NYC. Most of our viewing was from the heated indoors of the museum. Time is always in short supply.



Sunday evening ended just as every great vacation should - with great friends and good food. Byron Machin, a long time childhood friend of mine, met us downtown with his girlfriend Katie at a local trendy restaurant off of 17th St. & 7th Ave. called "Cafeteria." The irony in the name was certainly present, but what more would you expect from a hip restaurant in NYC? After our cozy dinner, we walked to Union Square and entered a Barnes & Noble for a hot drink and heated shelter. Sure, a chain bookstore is a chain bookstore no matter where you are in the world, but since it was New York it was the best Barnes & Noble I had ever visited. Besides, I had not seen Byron in close to 4 years and it was great to catch up.

Our visit to New York City was a blip in a moment in our lives. The only certainty in good memories and great experiences is that no matter how little time elapses amongst good company, the memories will last forever. Everytime I think back to this weekend I remember how long every moment was and not how short they were. Running through a neighbor's yard with a friend when I was a kid may have only taken seconds to accomplish, but the pure thrill and risk of getting chased by mean dog is a memory that is still with me today. Hell, running through anyone's yard when unwelcomed certainly would feel like an eternity. Even though our visit was short, Shanti and I will go back; however, I don't quite think the next visit will be quite as memorable as our first time - together.



More pictures from our trip, including any shots I managed with my Holga, will be posted later this week at my Photo.net gallery - http://www.photo.net/photos/emc - check back soon!

No comments: